Sunday, November 30, 2008

True Words of Wisdom

So we got this little quote at an inservice we had today in church. It was fastened to a sponge and it read:

Children are like sponges.
They absorb your knowledge
they sap your strength
they soak up your resources
and drain your energy-
but with one big squeeze
they give it all back.

I thought, how true! Emma has been going through a little bit of a naughty phase where she talks back and throws major tantrums. It has been really hard, partly because I feel responsible. She is going through so many changes, and big changes at that. How could she not act out? I think the whole bed rest thing was just as hard for her if not harder than it was for me. The hardest part for me was actually seeing Emma suffer in her own way, and knowing I was the cause of it, even if it wasn't my fault. But amidst all the tantrums, the yelling, and the naughtiness, there are times when she will come give me a hug or a kiss for no reason and without me asking her for one. Or she will tell me she loves me with no prompting at all. Then there was the time that I was discouraged to tears, and she went into the bathroom, grabbed a "wash" (toilet paper), and came over to me and wiped my tears away. Its times like these that make me forget how naughty she can be. Its times like these that make all the heartaches of being a mother totally worth it.

13 comments:

Manda Jane Clawson said...

What a sweetheart! Children are so amazing :)

Unknown said...

You make me feel better because my kids are doing the same and all I feel is frustration and guilt. I feel like it is my fault to because I am pregnant! And I have been so sick and hugely lacking in my parenting skills but, I also think it is this time of year. We are going so many places and staying up late and Chirstmas is soooo hard to wait for. Don't feel bad. It's just a phase. That is so true they are so forgiving and have so much love to share.
Kristen

Justin and Tasha said...

I so...know what you are saying. My daughter is doing the same thing and then when I break down she makes me forget about all of the bad and enjoy all the good ! It is amazing that they are so small but yet born with so much love !!!

Wardles said...

All those great stories make me excited to be having a little girl. Hang in there with all the changes... I'm sure they'll get better.

Amie said...

Don't be too hard on yourself. I'm always amazed that my kids are turning out in spite of me. You're a great mom! She looks so cute in that picture too!

Rasmussen Forever said...

Those are really sweet words. You are such an awesome mom! And Emma is a great example of what great parents you and Tyler are.

Anonymous said...

You are an amazing mom Lauri! You inspire me! :) I love you!

BreeAnn said...

very cute picture of Emma. My parents don't live in St.George, they sold our West Valley house and with that money they bought the house in Coral Canyon, so they own it, and it is a little get away house. It's nice.

Rob and Tami Stewart said...

Oh, my goodness, what cute photo! It's been a while since I've looked at anyone's blog. I'm so excited about your house, getting off bed rest, and getting ready for the baby. That's so wonderful, Lauri! You're such a cute mom and great person!

The Barron's said...

Ohhh.... I think we are so hard on ourselves as moms because we want so much for our kids, the best! I remember when I had grace I loved her to pieces but I felt so guilty that it was taking away from William, so any little upset he had I felt so guilty soo soo guilty... But it does get better and they do make you feel so good with being so sweet.

heather said...

What a cute quote. She looks so sweet in that picture that it is hard to belive that she could be naughty... then again I have my own little cute naughty boys at times too. Oh and the house looks great. How exciting.

Maranda said...

That picture of her is adorable!

Robin said...

I love that quote and LOVE that beautiful picture of her!