Thursday, June 26, 2008

Doctor's Appointment

I went to the doctor yesterday for my 12 week check up. Everything went well, except for the weight gain. I'm not even going to say how much it was! I'm blaming it on the fact that I had just eaten lunch and had a full bladder, but not at all on the fact that all I want to eat are hamburgers and onion rings! Anyway, I got to hear the heartbeat which is always a relief! 150 beats per minute which according to the wives tales means its a girl. We will see! My doctor did say that it would be highly unlikely for me to go full term because of what happened with Emma. But they have found a way to prevent pre-term labor. I have to start having progesterone shots once a week starting at week 20. And since it would really be a pain to go to the doctor's office every week, Tyler will have to give them to me. I hope he's up to the challenge. He has a sensitive stomach when it comes to medical stuff. Not a pleasant thought having shots once a week for several months, but apparently its pretty successful. She said she has only had one patient give birth at 36 weeks, and everyone else she's done this on has made it to week 37 or more. Anyway. My pregnancy is becoming more of a reality, and I'm getting more and more excited. But as for now, I have a pretty active little girl who keeps me very busy and very happy.

11 comments:

Tyler said...

Hey! Excuse me! It is pain, bloody-gory wounds that I have a problem with! Not medical stuff! Let's just say I hate seeing anything that hurts!

The wives tales are a bunch of bologna!

Anonymous said...

After reading Tyler's comment... I really hope you have a girl!! hee hee hee!!

I am so excited for you but feel badly that you have to have shots each week, but if it protects your baby... you have to do what you have to do. I'll step up to the plate and tell you that I really do hate all the medical stuff... blood, gour, shots, needles, throw-up...YUCK!

ps. I want to go and see Angie... have you seen her yet? I thought we could go together one night and visit her!! Wanna??

heather said...

Yeah, I am glad to hear that all is going well. I say gain the weight sister!

Wardles said...

I'm glad everything is going well! Goodness, it sounds like doctors are picky about weight gain, my sister always says that her doctor says she has to gain more... other people say that they should watch it... I am sure you are fine!

Rob and Tami Stewart said...

While I'm positive that you still look gorgeous, I'll have to e-mail you sometime soon about something that helped me with my weight gain, and just my overall health during pregnancy. I think I only have Tyler's e-mail, so I'll send it to him sometime soon. In the meantime, take care!

Rasmussen Forever said...

I would always say, when weight gain is involved, that the baby is just growing fast or that I must be having more than one. Of course that's just what I would say to myself so that I wouldn't think about the gaining part. Everything will be fine. You looked awesome after Emma and you'll be an even hotter mamma after this one.

Anonymous said...

You know that your sister is a nurse. I'm sure she would be happy to give the shot once a week :)....I've had a lot more practice....keep that in mind.

Lauri said...

That's a good point! I think I may take you up on that. As long as I don't have to get it in my bum or something.

Jenni said...

It sounds like you have a good doctor that is trying to make sure that the baby stays as long in there as possible. As far as the weight gain goes, every woman is different, can doctors really tell what is healthy for one is healthy for another? Don't let it get you, your baby is just growing and being healthy! And I agree with everyone else, you are such a lovely lady!

The Barron's said...

ahhh, come on Lauri. Your sisters... let her poke ya in the bum! :) ha ha! Just kidding. However, maybe she could teach Tyler to do it and he can become a pro! Lucky to have Tiff there though... when shots are done right they don't hurt so bad... you will do great. Let's all get together sometime.

Jenny said...

Lauri!! It's been about forever! I was so happy to find your blog. And you are pregnant!!!! Congrats!! I sure miss you friend and I'm glad to read that things are going well. Don't worry about gaining to much weight. I'm due any day and I've only gained like 50 pounds. Yikes. Sometimes there is just nothing you can do about it, so why stress!!