Thursday, May 29, 2008

My little nursemaid


So, Memorial Day weekend could have been better to say the least. Tyler was out of town on a fishing trip with his brother, and Emma and I were ready for a day of shopping. Instead, I spent most of my day near my good friend John. It was one of the worst episodes of the stomach flu I've ever had, and at the end of the day I ended up on an IV at the emergency room. But the bright spot in this whole awful day was Emma. I swear kids can sense and understand more than we think they can. All day she played so nicely by herself. She never acted up. And she took a 31/2 hour nap! Every time I ran to the toilet, she would follow me. She would pat my back as I emptied the contents of my stomach. Then she'd hug my arm, look down and say "Yucky." She took good care of me in Tyler's absence. I'm so grateful for her. She always brings a smile to my face and joy to my life. She is growing up so fast! I love her developing personality and her ability to show love. I can't imagine what life was like before she came along. What a blessing it is to be her mother. She is so special. And I think she'll make a great big sister.

17 comments:

PrincessKatie said...

Nice suttle annoucement. iw as hoping it didn't say anythign and I woudl have wrote why were you sick? Any reasons! HA hA

Jenni said...

Yeah! (if that is an announcement how exciting!) or You're right she will one day (if it wasn't an announcement!) But I'm so sorry that you were so sick! That is crumby! Emma was great to take such good care of you.

Julie said...

What a sweetheart and I LOVE this picture of you two!

The Barron's said...

That was very subtle. CONGRATS!!! We need to get together. Also, let me know if you are having a bad day (sick day) or something and I will come and get Emma for a few hours or something. I know how that goes. Send me an email with your number. I never got it again when I got my new phone and I'll give ya a ring and see if you need anything.
Talk to you soon.
-Ang

Tyler said...

Bid Sister! WHAT !?!?!!!

Anonymous said...

No one tells me anything anymore. And I love you guys!

Rasmussen Forever said...

Great Emma...she is really a great angel. All because great parents like you and Tyler. You guys are doing an awesome job. And if this IS news that she WILL be a great big sister, we say Congrats. If not, we still say it, because Emma is one to be celebrated.

Manda Jane Clawson said...

What a sweetheart Emma is! She will be a GREAT big sister; and if that is sooner rather than later then congrats :)

Jessica said...

Lauri how are you this is Jessica (dunyon) Neagle how have you been? wow it has been years!!!

Becky said...

So was that an announcement? Is that why you were sick? You look gorgeous in this picture! When are we going to do that bbq we talked about? I miss you!

Robin said...

What a sweetheart! She WILL make an awesome big sister. We are SO excited for you guys and Izzy is especially excited to be getting another cousin so close to her age! I love this picture of you two-beautiful!

Katie Hendrickson said...

Finally you came out of the closet!! :) So sorry about puking...really sick or prego "sick"?

Anonymous said...

Oh, that is yucky and I am sorry you had to have an IV. That is never fun but you did have an awesome little nurse! And just like everyone else... a big sister? Call me... Spencer is going out of town for a while so I will have LOADS of time!

Amanda said...

Congrats!!! How exciting. I feel the same way about kids..they are VERY understanding.

Wardles said...

Congrats! That is really exciting. Your girl is adorable and obviously a sweetheart! And, I agree with you, they do sense those type of things. I know it is different, but I know that whenever I am feeling sick or upset, my students sense it and try to be extra good for me. Congrats again, and what a beautiful picture too.

ellisboys said...

Lauri, I am so glad to hear that is why you were so sick. I am excited for you, maybe you can bring the noss side a boy?

Nate and Hilary said...

You make a comment like that and then don't follow up with a "yes, I'm expecting" or "no, you misunderstood." Not fair. So, tell us! You're little Emma seems like such a sweetie. Sorry you felt so awful! When I was pregnant with my first I threw up once a day for six weeks, and then I was done. Weird. But I never had to go to the ER!